Monday 13 January 2014

Some Things Aren't Always What they Seem...

Greetings and felicitations

Today I'm going to talk about a few people who really touched my heart, even though I've never even met them. It started on Netflix... I saw this lovely lady  and was drawn in by her beauty.


This is RuPaul - and she is actually a man.
You're probably wondering what this has to do anything - well RuPaul here presented a show called RuPaul's Drag Race which was some kind of awesome.

It's a game to win a lifetime's supply of MAC cosmetics, $20,000, the winner was featured in an LA Eyeworks campaign, and they would join the Logo Drag Race Tour. Nice.

The only drawback for me (if I wanted to enter), is that you have to be a man. That can impersonate a woman flawlessly - to become the next Drag Queen Superstar.

'So what?' I hear you ask. Well the show was very interesting, personally when I have come across Drag Queens in gay bars I have been very intimidated by them. They are loud, very self confident and most of all... They can sniff out fear at 20 paces.

So for me at least, this was a way to marvel at these really creative and flamboyant people without in fact getting terrified that they will latch on to me and shame my awful makeup.

I loved their outfits, I loved their style and I really loved their names!
Bebe Zahara Benet - Originally from Cameroooooon.
The contestants were picked by an online public vote and the top nine ladies with the most votes were put on the show! The successful candidates were (stage names and real names):

These ladies all had to get through a number of 'challenges' throughout the day to win extra little goodies (along with immunity in the first three episodes) and in episode 4 there was a mini challenge to become the next face of MAC's Viva Glam campaign.

Viva Glam is part of the MAC Aids Fund which raises money to help people who are affected by HIV and Aids. There is some more in depth information about this fund here

The challenge involved creating a 30 second 'advertisement' for Viva Glam, and it should include why the Drag Queens thought that they should be the face of the campaign, as well as advertising what the campaign is all about.

There were some heartfelt personal stories, Bebe (as I have pointed out is from Cameroon) and she felt that this was a cause close to her heart because she had personally witnessed suffering at the hands of HIV / Aids, Rebecca's best friend was suffering with HIV; and there was one more revelation to come.




There was one Queen however, that really stood out for the judges was Ongina (the first lady in the video) and her message, 'Celebrate life!'

She actually won the challenge, and what happened next was jaw droppingly shocking. Ongina had this to say...




ONGINA: “I just wanted to say, and I've always been so afraid to say it, that I've been living with HIV for the last two years of my life, and this means so much to me. I didn't want to say it on national TV because my parents doesn't know. Oh my God…”

You could have cut the air with a knife I imagine. I sat watching this with the other half and my jaw was on the floor. As this poor human was baring her soul on national TV, all I wanted to do was reach inside the screen and give her the biggest hug for being so brave. She had kept this secret from everyone involved and when she won the competition she was overwhelmed, as many people would be I bet.

Her passion for life was clearly apparent and to be honest, none of the other contestants deserved the privilege more than Ongina to help others in her situation.

So, what I'm trying to say is - treat people with respect and compassion. You really don't know what they are going through in their own lives.

"I'm a Mac Viva Glam woman because like you and many others, I care. Educate, Donate & Celebrate, because life is a celebration!" - Ongina


















No comments:

Post a Comment